Things to Know Before Buying an EV
Are you considering upgrading to an electric vehicle (EV) to cut out fuel costs on your Wichita commute? If so, then there are some things that you should consider before you actually buy an EV. Take a look at the things you should know before buying an EV with the experts at Parks Chevrolet. We’ll go over how to prep your garage for a home charger, the costs involved with buying an EV, charging options in the Wichita area, and much more. Then, visit our dealership to explore our new inventory and find your very own EV for an excellent price.
If you plan on doing a lot of driving around the Derby area, then having a home charger installed in your garage is probably the most convenient option. You’ll have three different options when it comes to charging capabilities, but only two of them are applicable to home charging. Here are their capabilities:
- Level 1 EV Charging: This type of system has a charging speed of about 3-5 miles per hour and uses a standard 120-volt power outlet. Since this system is the slowest option, it’s usually recommended more for hybrid vehicles. However, if left plugged in overnight, you can usually expect your EV to reach a full battery by the time you start it up the next day.
- Level 2 EV Charging: This charging option has a charging speed of about 12-80 miles per hour and can charge your EV in a matter of hours. This system is usually the most recommended home charging method since you can top off your battery levels at home without having to wait 10+ hours.
Whichever option you choose, you’ll want to be sure that you hire a professional electrician to install your home charging center.
With any vehicle, there are costs involved with purchase and maintenance. EVs are some of the more expensive vehicles on the market depending on which kind of EV you choose. Here are some things to consider when it comes to the cost of owning an EV:
- Maintenance: Since EVs don’t have a combustion engine that runs on gasoline fuel, you’ll have significantly less maintenance required to maintain it. However, you’ll still have maintenance tasks like fluid changes, tire rotations, battery replacements, and more, so keep in mind how much the maintenance will cost.
- Tax Credits: Many EVs have tax credits that can help you save on the purchase price. The credits vary depending on several factors, but you can potentially save up to $7,500 on the purchase price of an EV with EV tax credits. Our new vehicle specials at Parks Chevrolet can also help you save on your next EV purchase.
- Installing a Home Charger: We mentioned earlier that you’ll want to hire an electrician to install your home chargers. You may be able to have part of this service covered with the vehicle warranty when you purchase it, but you’ll need to factor in any potential installation costs into your budget.
For more information about what it might cost to own an EV, reach out to our finance team at Parks Chevrolet.
As mentioned above, you’ll have three different options when it comes to charging stations. The first two were discussed in relation to home charging, but Level 3 DC Fast Charging is what you’ll be able to use on public charging stations. Most Level 3 Charging Stations can charge an EV to at least 80% battery in around 30 minutes.
If you’re curious about your public charging options, here are some locations in the Wichita area:
- The Flats at WSU
- Towne East Square
- Energy Wichita Operations Center
- Wichita Supercharger
- Towanda Service Center
- BMW of Wichita
- And more!
There are 140 different public charging stations in Wichita, so you’ll be able to keep your vehicle at full battery levels no matter where you roam.
Chevy EV Models
Currently, there are two EV models in the Chevy lineup: the Chevy Bolt and Chevy Bolt EUV. However, Chevy is soon releasing EV versions of the Silverado, Equinox, and Blazer models, and there will only be more options as EVs become more popular in the El Dorado area and beyond.
If you’re curious about which of our EVs would be a great fit for you, visit our dealership online or in person today.
Find an EV in Augusta
Contact us to learn more about what goes into owning an EV and what you can expect. Whether you want to set up a test drive of any of our EV models or just want to shop around, you’ll find everything you need at Parks Chevrolet.